Driving Test Help
This page is to help prepare you for your Driving Test.
1. Don't rush it Get as much practice as you can and only apply for your test when you feel confident that you are safe. If you're worried about the theory test, ask friends and family to test you to familiarise yourself with the questions.
2. Book the first available driving test of the day. If you take your test early in the morning you will have less time to worry about it.
3. Don’t tell your friends the test date. If everyone knows you are going for the test, you create the additional stress of trying to live up to your friends expectations. It's OK to let your Mum and Dad know, we are sure they will give you all the support you need.
4. Don’t listen to ‘horror stories’. There are many stories about failed tests. Some may even be true. Just concentrate on your performance.
5. Get the timing right. Take the test at the right time. Try to book the test so it does not coincide with other stressful events (just prior to school exams or in the middle of wedding preparations etc).
6. In your last two lessons. Ask your instructor to concentrate on the manoeuvres you find most difficult.
7. Do a practice run. We use the term ‘Mock Test’. Your instructor will be very realistic and the you must take it reasonably serious.
8.Practice in your head It's been proven that you can improve your ability to perform coordinated tasks by imagining doing them.
9. Examiners are only human. Your test is one of possibly eight on the examiners sheet that day. Don’t try to please him/her.
10.You do not need to be perfect. Concentrate on the essentials. If you make a mistake, keep calm and concentrate on your driving. The mistake may not result in failure and you are allowed upto 15 minor faults.
11. Don’t worry about silence in the car. It can be daunting sitting beside a stranger, who seems to just grunt: 'turn right, turn left'. Avoid thinking the examiner doesn’t like you. If there is a little chit-chat, be happy, but don’t expect it.
12. You will pass. Both your instructor and yourself must be convinced that the result will be a pass. An attitude ‘lets have a go at it’ may produce a pass, but is exhausting on the nerves.
13. Get a good night's sleep before the test.
Top 10 Tips For Your Driving Test Day
|1. Think positively. As soon as you get up in the morning, tell yourself that you are going to get through the day calmly. |
2. Make sure you eat a good breakfast. Even though you may be nervous and have lost your appetite eating breakfast is very important. Research has shown that your brain needs food to concentrate, so give yourself some food for thought!
3. Dress comfortably Make yourself feel good.
4. Arrive in plenty of time You should be present in the test centre at least ten minutes before the appointed time of your test. If you are late the test will be cancelled, and the fee will be forfeited.
5. Just before the test Relax by taking a few slow deep breaths. Clench and then relax your muscles to relieve tension.
6. Remember that some nervousness is normal and that it can improve your performance.
7. Listen carefully to the examiner's instructions Act on them in good time, and ask for them to be repeated if necessary.
8. Give the examiner a beautifully smooooth drive, one that both of you can enjoy.
The examiner just wants to see what you would normally do - nothing that you do not already know.
9. If you make a decision that you think could be misjudged by the examiner, explain your reasons while you drive.
10. If you come across a new situation Hold back and assess it carefully before you decide to proceed - and be prepared to change your decision if necessary.
If your feeling nervous about your driving test
If your nerves get the better of you in test situations then maybe some Herbal tablets can help. Tablets such as Kalms can be helpful in soothing your nerves, They need to be taken for a week before your test and can be purchased from all good chemists.
|At the beginning of your driving test the examiner will ask you 2 of the Show me , Tell me questions. Please Click Here to read the questions and answers.|